Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Assertiveness Training level 1 (I stand)

"What did you say to me, (explitives)?" Emotion laced words flowed fresh and alive from my mouth. Every muscle, every fiber of my being feeling the thrum of life as if for the first time, as I stepped up to Staff Sergeant P. Face to face, red countenanced, postures guarded, boundaries violated..then vindicated.

Muttered words instantly forgotten, as midstride confrontation stopped him like a red brick wall. Caught mid-mutter, wide-eyed in yet another degradation of my good name.

"NO...MORE!" "No more am I going to tolerate your unprofessional conduct, your disrespect against me" I spoke consumed with feelings long swallowed, choking at the relief like a breath too long held. I continued, "You mutter about me around officers around my junior Marines and around anyone you are trying to impress, it ends now!"

Words flow fumbled from his mouth, "I will do what you asked me to do." I had asked SSgt P to do something that the Marine Corps Orders require mere moments before. To which he replied that if I drop off the paperwork he would be more than happy to throw it away. Now when confronted with his inappropriate behavior he is more than happy to aquiese.

Words flow in quick succession like rehearsed, well oiled, machine gun volleys, "I told you that I would handle the paperwork and get it to where it needs to go since you weren't willing to cooperate, I am done talking about that, we are now discussing your inappropriate, unprofessional conduct towards me: You call me names, you mutter about me around people outside of our pay grade, you slander me behind my back. It all stops now. I don't disrespect you, I haven't once been unprofessional."

SSgt P retreated quickly onto his next destination. I stand.

1 comment:

The Montanaro's said...

Could you please tell me why you are looking at my family's blog. Do we know you?